31 March 2011

2903 in London


Cousin Alan and I


The adventurers


Busker with glass ball

Tuesday we took an R&R day. Got up later than usual and did our washing at the Laundrette. At lunch time we had a small snack and then walked to the British Museum where we spent more than an hour looking at a small section of the Egyptian collection and then on to Trafalgar Square, this time down Shaftesbury Avenue. We got there a bit early for our date with Alan Jenkins so we stood up on the verandah of the National Gallery and watched the buskers. I hadn't seen Alan since 1970 so it was 41 years between drinks. He took us to a pub very close to the square and we had beer and a chat. Then we went to a restaurant called Browns where they serve theatre goers to get you out on time. The building was a Magistrates Court but has now been converted very successfully. The food was excellent: I chose the chicken and leek pie. At 6.20, Alan walked us to the New London theatre in Drury Lane to make sure we didn't get lost (isn't he gorgeous?). I was really looking forward to "War Horse" although I was wondering how they would bring horses on stage. As it turned out they used life-sized puppets with actors manipulating the horses from beneath. It was amazing how the puppets behaved like horses eg when going into battle and crossing the Channel with gunfire all around. It is a very emotional play, full of energy and I loved the way singing was used as part of the narration of the story. It was totally booked out for this week and has been running for a few years???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home