13 November 2011

13 November walk to the Breadknife


This time we got started at a much more sensible time although the walk we planned was 11.2kms long with a suggested time of 5 – 6 hours. I was looking forward to seeing wrens in the bushes along the creek at the beginning of the walk. In the end we saw and heard many King Parrots which I love and also silver eyes, finches, a spotted pardalote and superb wrens. All along the creek there were hundreds of butterflies fluttering in front of us. It was really lovely with the sun gently glowing through the trees. A Currawong joined us for smoko when we sat down, pooped (us, not the bird) and looking forward to a cuppa. What joy when we found the tea bags had been left behind.

Milly looking disappointed - no cuppa

There has been a lot of work done on this track so much so that we couldn't work out where we went in 1976 when we did this walk. There are now stairs in the higher slopes to protect the path from erosion and lower down the path has been paved in many places. We had lunch on the top and then took the path to the actual Grand High Top. On the way we went off the path for a view of the spectacular bread-knife.



Further up near the summit we came to a very exposed rock sheet which I attempted but then decided not to bother. Perhaps my brain remembered my little incident of falling off the bike in Vietnam and decided to convince me that I don't have to do everything. "About time!" I hear some of you say. Steve went all the way but still didn't find the views we found last time we were there. We'll get the old photos out when we get back.

This was steeeep!!!

We heard some feral goats bleating during the walk and saw signs for 1080 baits for foxes. I imagine the goats might also eat the baits. I did see a rock wallaby so they haven't totally disappeared from this National Park. I guess the damage caused by foxes is justification for baiting but I do wonder how native animals don't die from baits also.

When we were eating lunch, we felt a few drops of rain and then suddenly there was a thunder clap. Fortunately the rain didn't arrive in earnest until we were in the car three hours later.


What was the walk like? Hot hot hot. Rocky and rough in the higher slopes where the ladder work hasn't yet been built. Inspiring for the views and for the achievement. Tiring. Our shins and knees are sore/tired due to so much down hill and the uphill just seemed to go on and on.

An attempt to show how steep the path was
Resting at the mo and thinking about packing up for the big drive tomorrow. Let's hope our brake foot works when we need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home